The town of Pine Creek is located 90 kilometres north of Katherine at the junction of the Stuart and Kakadu Highways.

Connection to country
The local Aboriginal people of the area are the Wagiman, Mayali, Arigoolia and Jawoyn.

Overland Telegraph Line construction worker Sidney Herbert named Pine Creek in 1870. During construction of the Overland Telegraph Line, posthole diggers discovered traces of gold and this led to the goldrush of 1871.

Mine Lookout
Access to the lookout is via a steep and narrow bitumen road close to the centre of Pine Creek township, that is not suitable for caravans.

Miners Park
This park is located next to the Railway Station and the Old Station Master’s Residence. It houses historic mining machinery from old mines in the Pine Creek area.

National Trust Museum
This building was originally erected on the Goldfields at Burrundie in 1888 and was moved to Pine Creek in 1913.

Northern Goldfields Loop
This heritage trail takes you from Pine Creek to Adelaide River through Grove Hill passing abandoned mines.

Old Bakery
This interesting corrugated iron building was originally built at Mt Diamond around 1908 by Jimmy Ah Toy’s father, who used it as a butcher shop.

Railway Station Museum and Steam Locomotive
The museum is located in the original railway station building which was built in 1888 and served as a communications centre until 1976. Entry is by gold coin donation, check locally for opening times. Closed over the Top End Summer season.

Receive Monthly Deals, News and Events!

Subscribe to our Newsletter to receive all of the above and more

Choose to Book with the Top End's Local Experts