The Top End of the Northern Territory is best known for idyllic tropical weather with two seasons: the Dry and the Wet. It means that the region enjoys warm weather throughout the year. 

The Dry

The Dry season goes from May until October. This is traditionally the most popular time for visitors to explore the many attractions of the Top End region. A major factor being the cooler daytime temperatures (ranging from a very pleasant 27˚C - 32˚C). Lower humidity levels at this time of the year, make perfect conditions for outdoor activities and exploring the many attractions of the Top End region.

The Wet

During the Top End Summer in the months from November to April, visitors can expect monsoonal rains during late afternoon or overnight. During this period flooding can occur which can restrict access to parts of the region. While weather conditions at this time of year can restrict travel to some areas, the Top End Summer is a stunning time to visit. Waterfalls tumble, skies host incredible light shows and the landscape turns a lush green.

Road conditions and access can change rapidly during the Top End Summer when rainfall peaks, so it is important to always check road conditions before travelling. For more details, phone 1800 246 199 or visit

Secure NT provide up to date emergency alerts and warnings from the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM), NT Police, Fire and Emergency Services, Road Report NT, Power and Water and Bushfires NT. If you are seeking information on current weather, roads and transport or alerts and warnings please click here.

Parks Australia provide a daily access report with updates on the status of key visitor sites throughout Kakadu National Park.
If you are seeking road access reports and information for Kakadu National Park, please click here.



Month Min Max
January 24.8° 31.8°
February 24.7° 31.4°
March 24.5° 31.9°
April 24° 31.9°
May 22.1° 32°
June 20° 30.6°
July 19.3° 30.5°
August 20.4° 31.3°
September 23.1° 32.6°
October 24.9° 33.2°
November 25.3° 33.3°
December 25.3° 32.6°

* For further information visit



Tidal predictions for the Northern Territory (NT) are supplied by the Bureau of Meteorology. Please check the Australian Government's  Bureau of Meteorology website to find the NT tide predictions interactive map to find time and height of next high and low tide.

To find more information about daily, hourly and monthly tidal predictions and variations visit here.

When visiting Groote Eylandt, a permit is required from

Information about the permit to Tiwi Island please contact the Tiwi Islands Regional Council or your tour operator.

Receive Monthly Deals, News and Events!

Subscribe to our Newsletter to receive all of the above and more

Choose to Book with the Top End's Local Experts